Foods that boost testosterone levels is very important for men since the hormone is responsible for body composition, healthy growth and more.
Unfortunately, an estimated 5% of US men suffer from low testosterone levels that can lead to nasty symptoms such as depression and low energy levels.
Fortunately, low testosterone can be easily and naturally treated by practicing a healthy lifestyle.
In this article, I will be focusing on one of the best and natural treatments for low testosterone levels — diet and talking about foods that boost testosterone levels.
Best Nutrients in Foods that Boost Testosterone Levels
There are a number of nutrients found in food that have been linked to testosterone production. The article lists these nutrients and discusses how they can boost testosterone levels:
1) The B Complex Vitamins: Your body uses the B complex vitamins to produce testosterone and when you ensure that your diet contains a lot of these health boosting vitamins then you can keep your testosterone blood levels naturally high.
2) Healthy Fats: Healthy fats such as monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fats can help improve your testosterone naturally by improving high density lipoprotein or HDL cholesterol blood levels.
HDL cholesterol is converted by the body into progesterone which is then used to create testosterone; so the more HDL cholesterol that you have, the more testosterone your body can produce.
3) Vitamin A: Vitamin A is huge in foods that boost testosterone levels because it can increase testosterone naturally in two ways.
First, Vitamin A assists in testosterone production and ensures that normal levels of this hormone are circulating in your body.
Second, Vitamin A influences estrogen levels and helps ensure that your body’s estrogen will not interfere with your body’s production of testosterone.
4) Vitamin D: There are various studies that link the consumption of vitamin D with better testosterone levels.
One study from the Clinical Endocrinology’s August 2010 issue found out that men that did not take in right amounts of Vitamin D have lower testosterone levels compared to men that consumed the required amounts.
Another study from the Hormone and Metabolic Research’s March 2011 issue found that men who took vitamin D supplements for a year reported an increase in their testosterone levels over the year.
5) Zinc: Zinc enhances testosterone production in two beneficial ways. First, zinc regulates aromatase, an enzyme that converts your testosterone into estrogen.
Second, zinc increases the blood levels of the luteinizing hormone which then stimulates testosterone production.
5 Tasty Foods that Boost Testosterone Levels
The nutrients that were listed above are all great and natural testosterone boosters and by preparing and consuming diets rich in these nutrients, you can protect yourself from low testosterone.
There are a lot of foods in the market that contain high levels of these desired nutrients and I have listed five of the best ones below:
1) Beef: Beef is a great source for zinc, healthy fats and a number of B complex vitamins.
A single 113g beef serving can give you over 30% of the RDA for zinc, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 and at over 10% of the RDA for both monounsaturated and saturated fats.
Beef is a fully flavoured and rich type of meat and can be prepared with a wide variety of vegetables.
2) Lobster: The lobster is an exotic and tasty delicacy that you won’t probably eat every day.
However, if you want to naturally boost testosterone blood levels then lobsters are an excellent choice since they are packed with zinc and vitamins such as B3, B5 and B12.
Lobsters are a great addition to your salads or any other cold dish. However, if you like to eat your lobsters hot then you can prepare this great seafood by good old fashioned grilling.
3) Oysters: The oyster is known as a natural aphrodisiac and its ability to boost testosterone levels might be the reason that it helps men naturally maintain a healthy sex drive.
Oysters are very good at improving testosterone levels because they contain exceptionally high amounts of vitamin D, vitamin B12, and zinc.
Oyster dishes are also great choice for helping you watch your weight since a single oyster contains less than 10 calories.
4) Salmon: Salmon is filled with testosterone boosting vitamin D, B3, and B12; a 113g serving of the tasty fish can give you 35% RDA for each vitamin.
Salmon also has 10% RDA for the three healthy fats. The fish tastes great whether you eat it hot or cold; you can prepare it through smoking or grilling.
5) Sweet Potatoes: The sweet potato is a great source of vitamins A, B3, B5 and B6 and are wonderful foods that boost testosterone levels.
The root vegetable is extremely versatile and can be baked, grilled, boiled or mashed to be served in any meal.
I hope that this article has helped you if you are suffering from low testosterone levels and like to boost this important hormone’s blood levels.
By taking a diet that is rich with the food selection listed above, you can keep your testosterone levels from dropping too much; you can even raise them back up if you’re currently suffering from low testosterone.
So eat wisely and start eating these awesome foods that boost testosterone levels today!